sara tasker (@me_and_orla), mother/photographer and baker extraordinaire, shared one of her favorite holiday traditions with us. hope you enjoy this delicious recipe as much as we do!
“mince pies — full of fruit, and definitely no actual meat — are the quintessential christmas food here in the UK. they’re a fairly ancient tradition, and did originally contain beef or lamb, which was gradually phased out over the years. i heard once that you get to make a wish when you eat the first mince pie of the season, and naturally i’ve honored that tradition ever since. go forth and be merry, & may all your wishes come true. ” - sara tasker
12oz sweet shortcrust pastry
1 egg beaten with a tsp of almond essence
3oz ground almonds
1oz flaked almonds
- preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/ 180c. roll out your pastry and cut into rounds. line a greased muffin tin with these.
- beat together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. gradually beat in the egg mixture then stir in the mincemeat and ground almonds.
- divide mixture evenly between your pastry cases, then sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- bake for approximately 20 minutes until firm to the touch.
- finish with a dusting of icing sugar.